Job Title: Office Assistant
Reporting to: Mae Hong Son Field Coordinator
Job starting date: August 16, 2010
Women’s Education for Advancement and Empowerment (WEAVE) works in partnership with ethnic minority women from Burma, believing that the empowerment of women and development of their status benefits the whole community.
WEAVE gives the women opportunity to improve themselves through education, confidence building and skills development. WEAVE encourages women to take leadership and share skills in their families and communities.
Our main office is in Chiang Mai, Thailand and have offices in Mae Sot and Mae Hong Son.
General functions and responsibilities:
- Take mails to the post office and check mailbox.
- Responsible for shopping/buying supplies and materials (includes office stationery, etc.).
- Packing of items, addressing and sending parcels to camps, Mae Sot and Chiang Mai through the post office, mini-van, transport companies, etc.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the office (responsible in checking the work the office cleaner), office equipment and furniture (e,g. check fax machine, computer printer ink, photocopier, email, etc.)
- Photocopying outside for larger jobs
- Buy travel tickets for WEAVE staff
- Pay phone, electricity and water bills
- Prepare camp passes, visa, work permit, travelling permit for the staff
- Translate letters and reports to Thai language.
- Attend MOI and Thai admin. Meeting and prepares the monthly reports.
- Do other office tasks as required.
- Manage computer support.
- Knowledge of Burma/Thailand border refugee situation and preferably has experience working along the Thai-Burma border.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, women’s education and empowerment
- Background in office work /management would be helpful
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural setting/environment
- Fluency in Thai language (reading, writing, and speaking) is a must; good communication skill in English language is required. Karen, Burmese and other ethnic languages would be useful.
- Ideally, willingness to work some irregular hours
- Able to drive and with driver license
- Possess Thai ID
Based in: Mae Hong Son
Pay scale: This is a full-time position and the salary will be determined according to WEAVE’s standard salary scale. The employed staff will undergo a 3 months trial period.
Benefits: There is a health care allowance and modest health insurance policy.
How to apply:
If you think you have the necessary qualifications and experience required for the position, and would like to apply for the job, please send:
- 1. a letter of application in English, Burmese, or Thai
- 2. your CV or resume giving details of your qualifications and experience
- 3. Photocopy of Thai ID card
- 4. the names and contact details of 3 referees (people who have known you in your working environment)
Applications may be sent by e mail, fax or mail not later than July 30, 2010
Only short listed candidates will be notified for interview.
WEAVE welcomes applicants from women ethnic minority communities. Qualified men are also encouraged to apply.