WEAVE’s Volunteer and Internship Program promotes volunteerism to support the Foundation’s mission of empowering women by expanding their rights, power and opportunities. It is also an excellent opportunity to acquire direct experience working on international development issues and learn WEAVE’s development approaches. Volunteers can contribute their time, skills and knowledge to support WEAVE’s projects along three main thrusts and directions: Children’s Development, Women’s Economic Empowerment and Sustainable Development. WEAVE’s headquarter is in Chiang Mai and 2 branch offices in Mae Sod and Mae Hong Son. Its project locations are in 2 Karen refugee camps in Ratchaburi and Kanchanaburi Provinces; 2 Karenni Refugee Camps and Thai Villages in Mae Hong Son Province, bordering Myanmar. Volunteers’ assigned location will depend on the position and project supported.
[button link=”http://www.weave-women.org/what-we-do/” color=”steelblue”] Learn more about WEAVE projects [/button]
WEAVE differentiates between interns and volunteers in that interns are required to be University students and need to present supporting documents from their University. The application and projects to be supported are the same for interns and volunteers and more details about the internship program will be sent once the application is received.
Positions to support:
Below are some of the areas that can be joined by volunteers. If the motive of the application at WEAVE is related to a particular research please send us your research proposal with the cover letter.
* Development Communications Volunteer. Some of the tasks include: Developing blogs of human interests and significant stories, News writing and editing for WEAVE website – Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe literate
* Resource Mobilization and Fundraising Support Volunteers. Some of the tasks include: Organizing and coordination of fundraising events, funder research support and proposal writing.
* Small Business Development Support Volunteers. Some of the tasks include: Conducting training, particularly on the Fair Trade and Social Enterprises.
* Marketing and Promotions Support Volunteers. Some of the tasks include: Supporting WEAVE Fair Trade’s marketing work, including implementing the marketing plan.
* Product Design and Development Volunteers. Some of the tasks include: Work with weave-women artisans in coming up with new designs and product lines.
* Social Agro-Forestry Volunteers. This is a field-based assignment and some of the tasks include: working with a refugee and Thai village farmer cooperants in implementing sustainable livelihoods, including food production activities, etc.
* Women Studies Teacher. This is a field-based assignment and some of the tasks include: teaching gender and women’s studies to refugee girls.
* English Teachers. This is a field-based assignment to teach refugee children and young people basic conversational English.
* Nursery School Curriculum Developer (Field-based assignment – review and revision of subject specific pre-school curriculum).
* Community Development Volunteers. This is a field-based assignment to support WEAVE’s Livelihoods and Community Organizing, Mobilization and Development initiatives.
* Documentation Volunteer. Some of the tasks include: data gathering, data collation, database management and program support.
* Basic knowledge and understanding of the Thailand and Myanmar border refugee situation
* Understanding of, and commitment to, women and children’s education and empowerment
* Background in women and children’s issues and development, social work, education, fair-trade, business, non-profit management, international affairs, economics, or related fields
* Demonstrated ability to multi-task with minimal supervision and experience working in a multi-cultural setting/environment
* Demonstrated fluency in oral and written communication skills in English; Thai, Karen and Burmese are an advantage.
* Ideally, willingness to work some irregular hours and to travel to the border areas as necessary.
* Interested candidates may submit an application at any time indicating intent, interests and availability. Please submit a cover letter, resume (with 3 references), and a brief writing sample (2 pages maximum) by email to [email protected] or fax: +66 53 357 695
* Please note WEAVE volunteer program is for at least 3 months and operates on a non-remunerative basis. WEAVE will cover transportation allowance for officially approved field work and upon submission of receipts.
Due to the expected volume of resumes, we cannot respond to every applicant. Only those potential applicants will be contacted.
[button link=”http://www.weave-women.org/FAQ/” color=”steelblue”] Volunteering at WEAVE FAQ [/button]