Job Title: Women Study Program Assistant
Job starting date: August 16, 2010
Women’s Education for Advancement and Empowerment (WEAVE) works in partnership with ethnic minority women from Burma, believing that the empowerment of women and development of their status benefits the whole community. WEAVE gives the women opportunity to improve themselves through education, confidence building and skills development. WEAVE encourages women to take leadership and share skills in their families and communities. Our main office is in Chiang Mai, Thailand and have offices in Mae Sot and Mae Hong Son.
The Women Study Program (WSP) aims to build the capacity of women (young and old) to securely have place in the community through relevant and essential knowledge and skills training and sharing on Women’s Development, Peace and other vocational based courses.
General functions and responsibilities:
Under the supervision of WEAVE’s Women Study Program Officer, the successful candidate will carry out the following duties and
- Provide support to the Women Study Program Officer in all aspects of preparation and implementation of the different activities in the Women Study Program and its components (Education and Training, Community Outreach – Karenni Further Study Program ) e.g. administrative functions, training, monitoring and evaluation, recording and reporting, oral a written translation etc.
- Provide typing and encoding work for necessary information and documents (in Karen, Burmese, English e.g. communication, report, work plan, curriculum and or training plan and design).
- Assist in documentation and keeping the files updated and organized.
- Assist in tracking the records/inventory of school supplies, training materials, and school equipments in WSP and KNFSP.
- Coordinates and maintains good working relationship with the partner organizations Karenni Women’s Organization (KNOW), Karenni Education (KNED)
- Knowledge of Burma/Thailand border refugee situation and preferably has experience working along the Thai-Burma border.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, women’s education and empowerment
- Background in community development and or community education would be helpful
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural setting/environment
- Good communication skills using English language. Ability to communicate in Thai, Karen and Burmese is an advantage
- Possess basic computer skills – Microsoft Word/Excel
- Willingness to work at some irregular hours
Based in: Mae Hong Son
Pay scale: This is a full-time position and the salary will be determined according to WEAVE’s standard salary scale. The employed staff will undergo a 3 month- trial period.
Benefits: There is a health care allowance and modest health insurance policy.
How to apply:
If you think you have the necessary qualifications and experience required for the position, and would like to apply for the job, please send:
- 1. a letter of application in English, Burmese, or Thai
- 2. your CV or resume giving details of your qualifications and experience
- 3. Photocopy of Thai ID card or Passport, and Transcript of Records from school
- 4. the names and contact details of 3 character references (people who have known you in your working environment)
Applications may be sent by e mail, fax or mail not later than July 30, 2010 to :
Nancy Wah, WEAVE
PO Box 58, Chiang Mai University
Chiang Mai 50202
Note: Only short listed candidates will be notified for interview.
WEAVE welcomes applicants from women ethnic minority communities and gives preference in hiring them.